To promote the interests of the public in the history of Southwestern Pennsylvania with emphasis on the City of Monongahela, Carroll, and Forward Townships and the Borough of New Eagle and to provide a place where items of local history may be stored and displayed; to hold meetings open to the public where historical subjects may be discussed and to carry out all lawful acts to carry out the above stated purposes.
Programs and Services
- The Monongahela Area Historical Society (MAHS) offers monthly speakers; features community events such as autumn ghost walks and a historic house walking tour;
- Cooperates with California University of Pennsylvania academic programs and other historical societies;
- Operates a museum at 711 West Main Street, Monongahela;
- Serves as an archive to the community.
- The MAHS archives are being digitized in order to become more accessible to the local and online communities.
- The Monongahela Area Historical Society functions today as a monthly meeting organization which has become a strong voice in the community on such issues as: historic preservation, community development, “sense of community identity,” and quality of life.
- The Monongahela Area Historical Society cooperates with other historical societies on joint ventures and exhibits.
- We contributed to the 2015 Civil War Exhibit in Donora;
- Will work with DHS on the 2020 World War II Exhibit.
- MAHS cooperated with the Elizabeth Township Historical Society (ETHS) on a 2017 Mark Twain Program, a 2018 Appalachian Music program, and a 2019 Wayward Companions and Pittsburgh Historical Music Society Program.
- In 2018, we contributed to the CalU Manderino Library WWII Exhibit.
- MAHS maintains an affiliation with the Senator John Heinz History Center.
- In late 2018 and May 2019, MAHS hosted the Wedding Cookie College, drawing many guests from out of the county and out of state.
- The Wedding Cookie Table investigates and revels in the traditions held in western PA, eastern OH, and parts of WV regarding wedding cookie tables.
- Wedding Cookie Table grew out of a monthly MAHS Meeting Presentation.
- The Historical Society is sponsoring the attempt for the Guiness World Record for the World’s Largest Wedding Cookie Table during the MonCity 250th celebration on August 11, 2019.
- The MAHS Monthly Meeting Presentations have recently included the topics of;
- Monongahela Rye Whiskey
- Monongahela 1952 World Pony League Champions
- Cal U Digital Storytelling
- Upcoming in 2019, MAHS will be engaged in promoting and participating in the Monongahela Area 250th Anniversary Celebration.
Our Board Members
- Laura M. Magone, President
- Martha Muniz, Vice President
- Martha Gandley, Recording Secretary
- Kathy DeSantis, Corresponding Secretary
- Marsha Chew, Treasurer
- Wanda P. Magone, Historian